Part and parcel of our history is the Shipka Monastery, a symbol of
an epoch-making event for Bulgaria - her Liberation from Ottoman rule,
the final outcome of the 1877/78 Russo-Turkish War.
The monastery, together with an impressive memorial church, was erected
near the town of Shipka, near Kazanluk, below the famous Shipka Pass
in the Balkan Range, where in the summer of 1877 the Russian troops
and Bulgarian volunteers achieved the break-through which brought about
the victorious outcome of the war.
The means for its construction, which began in 1896 and was completed
six years later, were provided by the Russian and the Bulgarian people.
The Shipka Monastery is one of its exquisite, and at the same time monumental,
"editions".Solemn elegance is also emanated by the carved
and gilded iconostasis.
It stands by no means estranged in the overall panorama of Bulgarian
monasteries. Just like them, it is more than just a place of worship.